About the Village of Minerva
The Village of Minerva originated when surveyor John Whitacre purchased 123 acres of land from Isaac Craig in 1818 for the construction of a log mill. The town, named for Whitacre’s niece, Minerva Ann Taylor born April 19, 1833, grew up around the mill.
The community grew. The first schoolhouse was built in 1846. The Sandy and Beaver Canal helped the community’s industry thrive, then later, the Pennsylvania railroad. In fact,
Minerva manufacturers Willard and Isaac Pennock patented the United States’ first steel railroad car in the nineteenth century.
Situated on the historic Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) the quaint village was part of the first transcontinental highway for automobiles across the United States.